How to deploy ProActive Job Scheduler on OpenShift cluster
Install your own scheduler on OpenShift platform
Aug 20, 2019 from Activeeon
If you are using OpenShift, you may need to install a custom job scheduler on it in order to gain in scalability and flexibility for your workload automation. ProActive Workflows & Scheduling software allows you to orchestrate and schedule both IT and business workloads on any infrastructure, including on OpenShift cluster.
One of the main advantages of ProActive solution is that it enables your infrastructure to scale up and down automatically according to the amount of the workload.
In this blog, you will learn step by step how to deploy ProActive scheduler on OpenShift cluster. The only requirement to start ProActive scheduler on OpenShift is a running OpenShift cluster.
How to start ProActive Workflows & Scheduling on OpenShift in 5 steps
Follow these steps to deploy your ProActive Scheduler on OpenShift in a few minutes.
- Create a new project in OpenShift.
- Download and import Proactive Scheduler deployment configuration file.
During setup of deployments, you will see some parameters are prefilled by default, but you can configure your deployment by changing them according to your needs. For instance, you can specify the number of deploying nodes, etc.
- Download and import Horizontal Pod Autoscaler deployment configuration.
This configuration adds autoscaler for ProActive-node Pods according to a specified metric.
- Check the deployments of ProActive Scheduler and nodes.
Proactive Scheduler and connected ProActive nodes will start automatically. According to default configurations, check that one Pod for ProActive Scheduler and four Pods for ProActive nodes are successfully deployed.
- Proactive Scheduler and ProActive nodes are started inside OpenShift cluster with internal network IPs.
Depending on your case, there are two ways to access the scheduler:
- If the OpenShift cluster is started on a local machine, then you can access the main page to start Proactive Scheduler with localhost:8080.
- If the Openshift cluster is started on the remote machine, please check the Cluster IP of ‘proactive-scheduler’ service. It can be found inside Services window of OpenShift Web Console.
Enjoy Proactive running in OpenShift cluster with autoscaling of ProActive nodes.
See also how to install, use and scale up and down ProActive Workflows & Scheduling on OpenShift in this video tutorial from our team.
How to Install and Use ProActive Workflows & Scheduling on OpenShift
Check the ProActive documentation and feel free to ask us any questions.
Learn more about Workflows & Scheduling.
With the contribution of our R&D team: Yaroslav Shatalov and Gleb Mykhailenko